OPPORTUNITIES AT MCCHR
We are always on the lookout for talented individuals who are passionate about what they do. Find out more about available opportunities at MCCHR:
Communications and Outreach Officer
The Malaysian Centre for Constitutionalism and Human Rights (MCCHR) a.k.a Pusat Rakyat LoyarBurok is a community-based organization based in Damansara, Kuala Lumpur. Established in March 2011, its mission is to promote and protect human rights in Malaysia in accordance with established international human rights standards and principles.
MCCHR carries out a number of projects. Under its strategic litigation component, it files a number of test cases/appeals against Court decisions to effect changes in human rights; and organizes training for lawyers and law students. Its civic education component, UndiMsia! is the first-of-its-kind civic education project in Malaysia with the aim to increase ownership and strengthen the effective participation of Malaysian youth in the democratic process. In recent years, MCCHR has expanded its focus to also include law and policy reform work, through its strategic legislative advocacy program.
MCCHR is looking for a Communications and Outreach Officer to plan and implement MCCHR’s communication and outreach work.
Job Title : Communications and Outreach Officer
Start date : 5 June 2023
Employment type : Full-time
Duty station : 6-2, Oval Damansara, TTDI, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Supervisor: Chief Human Rights Strategist
Salary (gross) :RM3,000 – 3,500 per month depending on experience
Develop, promote, and disseminate the MCCHR’s messages and information through strategic, innovative, and effective methods in line with MCCHR’s policy.
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief Human Rights Strategist, the Communications and Outreach Officer performs the following responsibilities:
- Develop and coordinate the production of information, education, and/or communication materials of MCCHR.
- Coordinate with the graphic designer, perform copy-editing, and organize printing and dissemination of the MCCHR’s communications, publications, and materials.
- Support the development and implementation of media strategies and communications policy of MCCHR.
- Draft press releases and speeches.
- Build dialogues and networks with stakeholders including MCCHR volunteers.
- Provide guidance and assistance to ensure compliance with and efficiency of media strategies and communications policy and procedure and efficiency including training opportunities for staff.
- Maintain and upload reports and notices of events on blogs and social media platforms.
- Monitor press coverage of the selected strategic litigation cases undertaken by MCCHR and maintain an updated archive of the press report/article.
- Coordinate with the web designer to develop the website and other online communications.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Demonstrates ability to use, plan and execute information, education, and communication programs to enhance the effective implementation of the MCCHR’s activities;
- Good understanding of developments in communications and enthusiasm for trying new communication channels;
- Good networking skills particularly with the media, youths, and civil society organizations;
- Ability to establish priorities and plan work assignments, juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines;
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision but at the same time commitment to team building;
- Ability to inspire and work with youths from diverse cultural and social backgrounds;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disabilities sensitivity, and adaptability;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Demonstrates commitment to the MCCHR’s mission, vision, and values;
- Comply fully with the MCCHR’s programming, financial procurement, and administrative rules, regulations, policies, and strategies;
- Ability to travel to locations in Malaysia.
- University degree in communications, mass media, education, or other related fields. Good knowledge of human rights is an advantage with a keen interest in social/political sciences.
- One or two years of experience in the field of strategic communications.
- Excellent communications skills across all media platforms.
- Previous experience in a communication or campaign-related role for an NGO or donor organization is desirable.
- Knowledge of print, broadcast, and online media environments.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office skills.
- Fluency in both oral and written Bahasa Malaysia and English is essential.
Please prepare a personalized CV or resume detailing your professional experience and educational background. You may include a one-page cover letter stating your motivation to apply for the position, and a brief portfolio of your past communications-related work.
Applicants do not need to provide professional reference contacts and copies of achievement certificates at this stage. We will only need these if you are shortlisted for the position.
Interested candidates are welcome to submit their applications to [email protected] by 19 May 2023. Please indicate the title of the post in your cover letter and email subject line. Only candidates who meet the qualifications and requirements for the mentioned position will be called for an interview.
The MCCHR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Human Rights Internship 2021/2022
We advise prospective interns to apply at least 60 days before their intended start date. We aim to process every application within 30 days of submission and we will invite shortlisted applicants to go through a selection process which typically includes a written test and an interview session.
Please read MCCHR Internship Policy before submitting an application. In the Application Form, we will ask you to upload your CV or résumé and provide two academic or professional references. You will also need to sign in to your Google Account to complete the form.
Due to the overwhelming number of applications, we may not be able to respond to applicants who are not shortlisted for the selection process. If you do not receive any update from MCCHR within 90 days of your application, you may try again by submitting a fresh application.
For more information about the internship programme, please email [email protected].
Internship Policy (PDF, 317kB)